January 30, 2009

Random Thoughts on Writing

So, I've been trying to find a bit more time to write the last few says. My notebook has been getting a workout, but it never really seems to translate into posts. This is a good thing, since I've mostly been venting to the notebook about the frustrations of tending two sick children under the age of three, the stresses of trying to buy our first home, and how it looks like a giant has taken our house and shaken it like a child with a present the week before Christmas. It hardly makes for anything applicable to this blog, but it is helping me get into a better space in my head.

Writing Roads has issued a call for submissions for a LOVE e-book. I believe it's a grand idea. I've been looking for something for Hubby's birthday, which just so happens to be the day after Valentines, and this looks perfect. I haven't written poetry in years, but I'm actually thinking of dusting off those long neglected skills and trying for a submission. Even if it's rejected, I'll still have a little something personal to print up on pretty paper for Hubby's birthday.

You know, I don't believe I've taken the time to do any sort of writing exercise since graduating college. It's a shame really now that I stop to think about it. I got to thinking of them as a waste of time because they rarely result in anything publishable, but I've been missing the whole point. It's not about getting something publishable. It's about improving overall skills and gleaning ideas.

I haven't written a word on any of my major projects in well over a year because I've had an awful time getting my mind in gear. I've tried everything to break through the writers block besides a few random exercises, and just writing down random thoughts in a journal is actually doing more to get the words flowing than anything else I've tried. Perhaps it's time to give writing exercises a try again.

Yes, exercises it is!

Alright folks, leave me a prompt in the comments, and I'll answer the challenge as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment