March 23, 2009

52 Weeks Challenge: Redo Please.

It's official. I should have waited until after the move to start my 52 week challenge. As I'm sure many of you know, moving, especially while small children in tow, can throw your entire life into utter chaos. This is compounded if the move is immediately followed with a week long change in routine due to something like spring break.

The move itself went off almost without a hitch. Having to take several doors off their hinges to get the refrigerator, washer and dryer, and a few other large pieces of furniture through them was the major thing.

It wasn't particularly difficult, but now we have a whole host of moths who flew in through the gaping hole. We're still trying to rid ourselves of them before they multiply. They'd already be gone if not for the vaulted ceiling in our new living room. Our step ladder is plenty to handle most things, but you can't get a fly swatter anywhere near the apex of the ceiling with it.

Anyway, between packing, moving, final cleaning and closing out the rental house, unpacking, and the week I spent horribly sick because I seriously overdid it the two weeks before, I completely lost track of the challenge. We didn't even regain internet access until last Monday, so updates were impossible to post. So, I'm calling a redo.

Besides, I did something this time around I should have last time. I scheduled a visit with my primary care physician. Some of you may remember, I've been struggling with my health and weight for nearly three years now. I've improved my diet, cut calories, upped my workouts, and everything else I could think to do, but nothing was working. I went to see if there might be any underlying factors, and she ordered a whole battery of tests. I should hear the results sometime in the next few days. The nurse did let me know one result was slightly abnormal, but my doctor was on vacation, and no further information was available until her return.

Also, I think I was trying to do too much all at once before. I want these changes to be long term, so it's best to establish new habits and truly break old ones.

Psychologists claim it only takes three weeks to establish new habits. I'm going one more just to be sure, so here's my plan. I'm going to pick three changes and make sure I keep to them for four weeks. Then, after these changes have become habit, I'll add two or three more. By the first of April 2010, we'll see if my goals are met.

First changes up are:

1) Establish a daily routine for myself and the girls.

I actually took a few minutes yesterday and came up with a schedule. Set bed and nap times work wonders with the girls' moods, so I started there and worked my way out. We've actually kept a regular bed and wake time for everyone for the past week, and improvements are already being seen just from that. (I no longer look like I have two black eyes for one!)

2) Make daily exercise a priority.

While I was scheduling yesterday, I made sure to include a half hour block for exercise in my morning right between the first load of laundry and dishes and story time for the girls.

3) Remember to make some small gesture for Hubby at least once every day.

Have you ever heard someone talk about how just a few small gestures between themselves and their spouse kept the spark alive in their marriage and brought them closer together? It sounds like it's a bit much to hope for, but it also sounds like it could work.

I slipped a note written on a napkin into Hubby's lunch. I've yet to hear if he discovered it, but we'll see.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm stopping by from the Ultimate Blog party! So happy to be meeting new folks around the ol' blogosphere! Happy partyin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your goal setting process! Best of luck, and I'm glad you stopped by my site for the UBP. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for stopping by.

    AmyL, the process is much easier to follow now. The first time I started the challenge, I just kind of tried to do everything at once. Talk about a set up for failure!

    ReplyDelete