March 27, 2009

Join the Challenge

I decided to blog about my personal year long challenge for two reasons. First, I like the accountability blogging about it provides. It keeps me on track, so I don't feel like a smuck for committing to something and not following through. Second, I know I'm not the only parent out there who has come to feel like they need a tune up in one or two aspects of their life.

After a false start a month ago, I've begun again and am off to a good start after tweaking my expectations a bit. The first go was a case of too much of a good thing. I got overwhelmed very quickly, and I'm sure the same would have happened even without the house purchase, moving, and the end of the grading period coinciding all in the same two weeks.

Breaking the challenge down into thirteen four week chunks where one to three small goals are concentrated on every day has made a huge difference. The goals are obtainable now, and I've been keeping them. Benefits are beginning to become apparent, not only due to the changes, but I've gained an overall sense of hope these changes can actually stick.

Hubby commented on catching glimpses of "Mandy," the me I was when we were dating and newlyweds, and that knowledge has brought about a sense of contentment I haven't felt in years.

I've enjoyed this week's Blog Party, and I want to close it out by issuing the challenge to those of you reading this blog. If there are areas in your life you feel need some TLC, join the 52 Week Challenge.

Write down the things you want to change somewhere. Then pick one or two little things you can do every day to make a difference and keep it up every day for four weeks. Then add something else.

Add your voice to the comments. Simply knowing there are folks out there reading the commitment I've made, that they'll know if I just throw in the towel, keeps me honest. It keeps me going when there are days all I want to do is tune out the world. I'd like to be able to return the favor for any of you who decide to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment