May 7, 2009

5 Things I Learned about Blogging

Believe it or not, Tuesday was the one year anniversary of this blog. I've learned a lot about blogging this year. Here are five of my favorites.

1) You have to have the time to devote if you want anyone besides your family to read it.

Without taking the time to participate in the conversations at other blogs, forums, bulletin boards, social media channels, or what have you, you can't expect loads of people to read your blog. How would they find it?

2) Quantity is important.

Okay, so you find a blog, and you enjoy the posts you see there on the front page and the archives. Even if you subscribe to the blog, why would you bother going back if it's been weeks or even months between posts? Post often, or you'll loose your readers.

3) Quantity may be important, but don't forget quality.

What good is lots and lots of badly written junk? I wouldn't subscribe or even bother remembering the web address. Would you?

4) Have a strong plan and a finished outline before beginning a series, contest, or give away.

Good ideas are ruined by poor planning. Make sure to have all of the details nailed down before announcing anything. Don't let your excitement over a great new idea get you into trouble.

5) Humor is a powerful tool.

Unfortunately, I'm just not funny to anyone over three. I'm cornball, and I know it. I'm also insanely jealous of those folks who have a talent for a humorous turn of phrase.

No comments:

Post a Comment