May 28, 2009

Considering the Blog Novel

I'm in something of a quandary regarding a story idea I've been kicking around since before From the Ashes was written. You see, I know it has the potential to be a good story, but I'm not sure it's one that would be a good fit with today's publishing market.

From the Ashes was a basic historical fiction. Cathbad and Conchobar mac Nessa were real men. Their lives are documented in first century Ulster. Queen Maive as well was a real woman, and her cattle raids on Ulster were a thorn in mac Nessa's side. Deirdre figures in a myth centering around Cathbad and mac Nessa, though I haven't come across anything suggesting she was more than a romantic story figure.

The story idea I have is a continuation of Deirdre's story, and it crosses the line from historical fiction into fantasy while keeping the historical elements. I go far enough away from what we do know about Ulster in the time period, I suppose you could call it just plain fantasy, but I'm not sure on the point.

In any case, I've been thinking about publishing the story in a blog format, one or two 1000 or so word posts a week as I work on reformatting The Icarus Project. It's a fun read, but I'm somewhat of a mythology geek. I'm not certain if anyone else would find the story as enjoyable as I do.

What do you think? Would you read a novel in blog form?

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I've actually thought about doing something like this myself, so I'd definitely be open to reading something like this.

    The problem I see with it (and it's my problem, not yours) is me remembering to go back and read it every week.

    It's definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where that would be an issue. It'd likely make the usual commenting, twittering, ect., ect., ect. doubly important to stay on readers' minds.

    ReplyDelete