May 12, 2009

Hello, I'm Amanda, and I'm a Caffeine Adict.

I thought my dependence upon coffee and diet soda would end when both girls started sleeping through the night. I was so wrong!

Even with squeezing in eight hours of sleep a night, thankfully aided by the lack of 3 a.m. feedings, I can't seem to give up the java. I've tried, but if I don't have at least a cup and a half by 10 a.m. or so, I get the worst headache. This is much better than the five cups a day I needed just three months ago to simply function, but still, I'd like to not be dependent upon any form of drug since my only chronic health issue, i.e. vertigo, is effectively controlled with a low sodium diet. (When I don't absentmindedly nosh on too many brine cured olives after eating out as I did yesterday. Stupid! And I paid the price for several hours.)

Plus, the coffee addiction isn't exactly good for my work. Caffeine induced wakefulness doesn't seem the same as actual wakefulness when you compare productivity and work quality. And then you have the danger of wrecking your keyboard if the ever present cup of coffee tips over.

Next Friday is the last day for the school where Hubby teaches, and it just so coincides with the end of week eight. I think I'll make cutting out the caffeine one of my goals for the third cycle.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,

    I also share the same habit with you. There was a time when I used to have at least 10 cups a day.
    One of my friend suggest me water therapy & to my surprise it works.

    Its very simple.

    When you wake up in the morning just drink at least 1 1/2 Ltr. of water & don't eat anything for an hour.

    Within a week you would feel the difference.
    Your skin would be glowing with fareness & forget about weakness.

    Now when you start your day you would be looking for water... instead of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting. How'd you manage that much water at once without getting a little queasy? I'd feel about to burst, I know.

    ReplyDelete