May 10, 2009

Sunday Sides and Suppers

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, the media has been so saturated the last few weeks with tips on how to eat well on a strict budget, I saw little point in adding an ebook so late in the game. However, I have a lot of simple, healthy, and tasty recipes I'd love to share with you, so I present Sunday Sides and Suppers.

Up first is roasted broccoli.

As I've mentioned, I'm experimenting with different ways to cook non-starchy vegetables. I've been wanting to try a variation on this since I heard Rachel Ray talking about how you get a different taste when you roast broccoli as opposed to steaming it.

Now, I loathe the smell and taste of steamed broccoli, and you end up loosing a lot of the vitamins and minerals with steaming the same as you do with boiling. Yet, you don't want to eat it raw because it does contain some enzymes who aren't so thyroid friendly before they're broken down by the heat of cooking. So, if you don't want to simply nuke your broccoli, this is a good option.

Roasted Broccoli

1 Large Bunch of Broccoli
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Basil
Pinch of Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Wash and break the broccoli apart. Add all ingredients to a gallon sized freezer bag and shake until broccoli is well coated with seasonings. Spread in an even layer onto a baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the tops begin to brown.

This side is easy and a big hit, even with the toddler, who loves dipping them in cheesy grits. The seasonings really bring out a good flavor, and the broccoli stays crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment