March 7, 2010

Sunday Sides and Suppers: Ultimate Cream of Chicken Soup

I have a two for one for you today. I mentioned the fact we use the pairing of our version of cream of chicken soup and herb biscuits as a cold remedy and just to keep our immune systems running at their peak when I posted the biscuit recipe this morning. Now I'd like to pass along our cream of chicken soup recipe.

Like the biscuits, it started as an experiment with the old chicken pot pie recipe, trying to thin and crisp the crust. The crust never did get as crisp on the bottom as we would have liked, but we've found we rather like crumbling a biscuit or two into the soup.

I originally chose the herbs used because we enjoy their flavor, but when we started noticing colds tended to clear up in a day or two as opposed to a week when we'd make a big batch at the start of the symptoms, I realized I'd filled both recipes with herbs commonly used in medicines throughout the ages. I suppose I ought to add sage throughout cold and flu season for it's purported use as an antiviral, but none of us are that fond of the taste.

When I was researching ancient herb lore for "From the Ashes," I supposed a lot of what I would find would end up being mostly superstition; however, science is proving the validity of several old remedies. In any case, cooking herbs tend to be packed with antioxidants and micro-nutrients, which not only add flavor but a nutritional punch to your dishes.

Ultimate Cream of Chicken Soup

1 Can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
4 oz. Low Fat Sour Cream
1 1/2 Cups Skim Milk
12 ozs. Low Fat Chunk Chicken (flaked) or 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (baked and shredded)
2 Cups Frozen Mixed Vegetables (thawed and drained)
1 Cup Frozen Sweet Peas (thawed and drained)
2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tbsp. Basil
1 Tbsp. Oregano
1 Tbsp. Ground Red Pepper
1/2 Tbsp. Ground Rosemary
1/2 Tbsp. Thyme
1/2 tsp. Dill

In a large soup pot, combine condensed soup, sour cream, garlic, basil, oregano, red pepper, rosemary, thyme, and dill until blended. Pour in milk and whisk until smooth. Simmer on low heat as you add in the mixed vegetables, peas, and chicken.

If you decide to use skinless baked chicken, you may want to add a teaspoon or so of salt. If you use the canned chunk chicken, that should add enough salt, but you can salt to taste. This recipe is designed to work well for a low fat, low sodium diet as is.

Once all ingredients are added, raise heat to medium and simmer until heated through.

Makes approximately 6-8 servings as shown above. It will keep, covered in the refrigerator for up to three days, but it does not freeze well. Reheat on the stove for best flavor and consistency.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these recipe with us.I really don't take soups before dinner but i tried these recipe in my kitchen and make these my family really like that kind of chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm glad your family enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete