October 19, 2010

Busy, Crafty Weekend

This past weekend was crazy busy. The girls and I went grocery shopping with Mom while Hubby mowed the lawn. We had a bit of a late start, and town was nightmarish. Well, at least it was for folks like Mom and me who hate to shop at the best of times.

After putting the groceries away and having lunch, I got the girls laid down for their nap, and then I headed out to meet someone who was selling the left overs of a melt and pour soap making craft kit. It was cheap, and I wanted to test my scents before trying the cold process. More on how that turned out here. When I'd purchased the soap bases, I went to head into the local Kroger to pick up some washing soda, so I could make up a batch of homemade laundry detergent. I noticed a fabric store next door, and I decided I might as well check it out. There are a few things I want to try making that require felt and ribbon, so I thought it would be a good chance to price check a few things.

Anyway, I ended up purchasing ribbon, some decorative buttons, felt, a glue gun, and glue sticks. I tried my hand at making up some hair bows for Boo Bear and Sneak.

Little Brother showed up to work on the greenhouse Sunday afternoon. He didn't finish, but we're all set to finish it up within a couple of hours the next time his work schedule allows him to come by. We're hoping it will be finished by the end of the month. I'm not so sure I'll actually have time to grow anything but the garlic already merrily growing away in pots along our driveway.

After all that, Hubby, the girls, and I all just collapsed Sunday evening after church.

Yesterday was spent recovering the house from it's degradation while I had a cold last week and in painting the letters for Sneak's bedroom wall. I goofed when it came to rolling the yarn for the last panel on the afghan I was knitting, and Hubby and I tried to unroll and separate the mismatched colors. That's not going to happen unless we somehow find a couple extra sets of hands. It just keeps knotting up.

So, I'm starting on my second afghan until I have the chance to go and pick up another skein of the yarn I was supposed to use. It will be interesting to see how this one will turn out.

I've yet to work from an actual pattern. (All the abbreviations blend together, and I get confused trying to make heads or tails of them.) I just look around and see how different things are done or shaped, and then I wing it. I'm really hoping I don't discover I have a stinker on my hands after two or three days of knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment