July 20, 2012

Prioritizing: Write, Organize, or Create?

Summer is my slow time for sales. There aren't many craft shows during the summer here, and it's typically too hot for my products outside anyway, so I mostly stick to the cool weather shows. However, that doesn't mean things actually slow down for me. 

I've been working on a store makeover most of the summer just like here on the blog. It's also the time where I start making Christmas gifts, building inventory for those fall shows, and I usually have to go through all the closets ditching worn or outgrown clothes and switching out sizes for the girls. The only thing is, I still have a lot of work to do and not a lot of summer left to do it in. What's a girl to do? Prioritize. 

It's not easily done though. If I don't get the closets done now, while Hubby is home to keep the girls entertained, it's going to take more than twice as long on my own during the school year. I have a lot of things I need to get made before the fall shows begin in October, so I need to be working hard on them now, including our Christmas gifts because pictures of most will be going into my portfolio or becoming a tutorial. And if I'm going to make the spring 2013 publication date for Right of Succession, I need to be working on rewrites and editing feverishly as well. 

I'll find out how much time my latest freelance gig will take up today. Then I'll have to break each of the tasks down into smaller chunks and prioritize those using the same most to least important method I learned for writing newspaper articles. I still need to do a bit of each every week, but that way if I don't get everything done, I'll at least have the most important bits done. 

What are you prioritizing for the rest of the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment