January 22, 2011

The Realities of Work-from-Home Hours

Up until the last few weeks, my work-from-home hours were fluid. I did what I could, and I didn't worry too much if I didn't get done with what I'd planned unless I was coming up against a deadline. That was when my product was a nebulous thing like a book without a hard and fast publish date.

Now that I'm opening my own store, my work hours are becoming more important. I have solid products that have to be made one at a time. Not a single one I can make countless copies of when the mood strikes.

Most of the time, it's not a big deal. The girls love watching me make soap and salts. They even find the packaging process fascinating, especially when I use shrink wrap. I give them some clay or paper and crayons, and they "work" at the table right next to me.

Things aren't so easy when some of us are sick, as has been the case the last week or so. Soap making depends a lot on timing. If you take a few minutes too long while the base is melting, you can burn the soap. If you pour it into the molds too quickly, your design can blur, or any suspended items can settle to the bottom. If you take too long to start pouring it, the soap will have thickened too much to pour well, and you end up with an ugly, lumpy mess.

Tantrums caused by feverish toddlers who want juice and comfort right now and timing do not mix.

However, I'm sure it's just another one of those things it will take time to work out. Like transitioning from being a working mom to a stay-at-home-mom, getting back into the groove of working from my kitchen will take some adjusting on all our parts.

* Pictured above is a set of guest soaps in my China Orange fragrance. See Contented Comfort's Facebook page for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment