March 23, 2011

52 Week Challenge Revisited

About this time two years ago, I began a full year challenge to try and fix a lot of things in my life. It did a lot of good for a while, but not all of the changes stuck, as evidenced by my post yesterday. So, I'm taking up the 52 week challenge again. Only, this time, I will be having fewer goals and concentrating on them for six weeks before adding the next goal.

The last challenge did two things for us. First, it helped me remember who I was beyond being "mommy." I have a much better sense of myself these days. I'm happier, and apparently much more interesting to Hubby and our girls, since we all seem to have more to talk to each other about these days. Then there is our diet. Two years ago, the majority of what we ate was prepackaged or frozen. These days I make much more of our food from scratch, and as a family, we eat many more fruits and vegetables. Our diet is much lower in sugar, fat, and salt than it was this time two years ago.

But out of the dozens of things I did in the last challenge, that's all that's stuck with me.

I started this past weekend, just after I realized I needed to make some serious changes once again. My first goal is to get up and get moving more, and to remember to drink my water.

My biggest problem lately has been fatigue. Even though the medicines are working to prevent issues with insomnia, I've still been low on energy. Why? I've been neglecting to drink anything but coffee. Dehydration's first besides thirst is fatigue. So, I'm keeping a gallon pitcher of water in the fridge at all times.

Also I'm using the timer I used to use for the Flylady system in reverse. Instead of measuring the work I do in fifteen minute increments, I set the timer when I go to sit down any time between waking at 5:30 a.m. and getting the girls down for their naps at 1 p.m. This way, I don't loose track of time. At the end of fifteen minutes, the timer goes off, and I get up and back to work. I don't let myself sit down for at least another forty-five minutes.

Bonus, if I'm standing, I will find something to do, so making sure the household chores are done is no problem. I've also been doing pretty well fitting in the girls' lessons. We've been reading a Bible story during one of my fifteen minute breaks and reading their pick of storybooks during another. Boo Bear and Sneak are loving the independence of working on their computerized lessons on their own while I fold laundry a couple feet away. And we all benefit from the hour or two between the time lessons and household chores are finished and lunch that's completely free for whatever games they want to play.

I do my computer work while the girls nap, and then I do my crafting from 4 to 9 except for an hour or so for dinner. The girls usually work with play dough or draw at the table while I work on my latest project. I'd continue to only allow myself to sit for fifteen minutes at a time even then, but it's kind of difficult to walk and knit, sew, or crochet at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment